The Recolight WEEE compliance service for lighting producers
Recolight was set up by the lighting industry in 2005 to provide specialist WEEE compliance for all lighting in scope of the WEEE regulations. To date we have funded the recycling of more lighting than all UK WEEE compliance schemes combined. We have done this by taking on the WEEE responsibility for recycling our Lighting Producer Members obligated products.
Your WEEE obligations as a Lighting Producer
If you put on market more than five tonnes of in-scope electrical equipment in the previous calendar year the WEEE regulations require you to join a WEEE compliance scheme to fulfil your WEEE recycling obligations.
You are classed as a producer if you:
- Manufacture and sell electrical and electronic equipment under your own brand.
- Resell under your own brand equipment produced by other suppliers.
- Import electrical and electronic equipment on a professional basis into an EU Member State. This includes imports into the UK from other EU member states.
Producers are required to mark all EEE put onto market with the crossed out wheelie bin symbol. This is to ensure its collection at the end of its life.
Information must also be made available to treatment facilities in respect of new types of equipment put on the market.
As a Recolight Member you can also provide your customers with information about the Recolight recycling network.
Charging is per lamp or luminaire put on market
You have no hidden costs and can accurately forecast what you will be charged each month.
Our charging is per lamp put on market. We take on the financial risk of the national targets, market share obligation changes, and the compliance fee.
Other WEEE compliance schemes buy evidence notes to fulfil their recycling obligations.
Working to get the WEEE regulations right for lighting
Recolight were set up by the lighting industry, and with four main lighting producers on our board, we’re run by the lighting industry too.
We work to get the WEEE regulations right for lighting by:
- Surveying our Members to respond to government consultations
- Lobbying to get the WEEEE regulations right and fair
- Attending Lighting Europe WEEE Working Group
- Membership of CENELEC and BSI WEEE standards committees.
Additionally, Recolight CEO, Nigel Harvey is chair of the WEEE schemes forum and Vice President of EucoLight.
Making sure you stay compliant – audits and reporting
The Recolight team will visit your site to audit you and make sure you’re reporting your lighting products correctly. We can do these audits at your site or remotely. The Environment Agency may also request to audit you; help is on hand form the Recolight Team to make sure everything is in place for this.
Recolight are also audited by:
- The Environment Agency to make sure we are complaint.
- EY to check we have sound processes in place for reporting and operations.
FREE lamp and luminaire recycling service
Recolight provides free regular collections of waste lamps and luminaires, helping members and their customers recycle as simply as possible.
Collection containers can be provided free of charge and collection and recycling are also free.*
Recolight is the only compliance scheme that provides eligible business customers with:
- Free storage containers for lamps and luminares.
- Free collections & recycling for lamps and luminaires.
- Dedicated customer service support team – helping businesses comply with environmental regulations.