COMPLIANCE AND MORE
Recolight was set up by the lighting industry to provide WEEE compliance for the lighting industry.
Giving you more…
Recolight provide a free lamp and luminaire collection service for the customers of our Producer Members, going beyond Recolight’s legal requirements of the WEEE Regulations.
Building on our expertise gained in the lighting sector and driven by the growing needs of our Members, we offer total compliance for all Electronic and Electrical Equipment, and batteries too.
To date, Recolight has recycled over a third of a billion GDLs, LEDs and luminaires; more than all UK WEEE compliance schemes put together.
Classification of a Producer
The WEEE Regulations state that:
“Producers of electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) are responsible for financing and ensuring the disposal of end-of-life products in an environmentally sound way arising from both household and non-household users.”
If you put a product in scope of the WEEE regulations onto the UK market you are classed as a producer.
This applies to all companies who:
- Manufacture and sell electrical and electronic equipment under their own brand.
- Resell, under their own brand, equipment produced by other suppliers.
- Import electrical and electronic equipment on a professional basis into an EU Member State. This includes imports into the UK from other EU member states.
If you put on market more than five tonnes in the previous calendar year you must join a compliance scheme which will meet your WEEE responsibility for you.
Your WEEE Obligations
As a producer you are required to
- ·mark products with the crossed out wheeled bin symbol and a date mark
- provide information on reuse and environmentally sound treatment of the products and components (includes materials, dangerous substances and preparations) within one year of putting them on the market
- make sure that distributors you supply have your producer registration number
- keep records for at least 4 years of the amount of EEE put on the market by category
Recolight take on the responsibility of our Producer Members’ WEEE compliance.
- Giving their customers access to the UK’s most comprehensive free lamp & luminaire collection and recycling service.
- Ensuring that as many GDLs, LEDs and luminaires as possible are kept out of landfill.
- We are funded by our Members as a not-for-profit organisation, with all funds used towards maximising recycling.