Recolight publishes guide to Household Luminaires and WEEE Open Scope
Open scope on brief
The WEEE Regulations have applied to a closed scope of products since 2007. Unless a product was listed in the fourteen categories, then they were out of scope. A specific exclusion meant that household luminaires were also of scope.
However, from 2019, the Regulations move to an open scope. Under this approach, all products which meet the definition of electrical products are in scope, unless they are covered by an exclusion.
The previous household luminaire exclusion has also been removed for 2019, bringing them into scope. Other lighting products coming into scope are wiring accessories such as plugs, sockets, switches.
Companies that sell these products in the UK, termed Producers, will need to comply with the UK’s WEEE Regulations and report their UK sales data.
Recolight has published a Definitive Guide for the lighting industry which looks at all products now in scope, with definitions.
A summary of changes to the scope of WEEE
- Most electrical products already need to comply with the WEEE regulations.
- Household luminaires, wiring accessories and other equipment come into scope of the UK’s WEEE Regulations from 2019.
- Producers of equipment coming into scope must join a Producer Compliance Scheme, such as Recolight, by November 2018, and start reporting the weight of the product they sell from January 2019.
(Very small producers supplying less than 5 tonnes per year may register directly with the Environment Agency).
- Although many EU countries will move to 6 categories in 2019, reporting in the UK will remain with the current 14 categories.
- Certain lighting products, such as furniture with integral LED lighting, remains out of scope.
- Recolight will not apply put on market charges for new product coming into scope until 2020.
The definitive lighting industry guide to household luminaire and WEEE open scope
Published by Recolight 2018
This guide may need to be updated when final guidance is issued by the Environment Agency, additional products maybe added
Learn more about Open Scope and new lighting products
LISTEN TO LUX WEBINAR – WEEE & OPEN SCOPE
Hosted by Nigel Harvey from Recolight
& John Bullock, Applications Editor at LUX Magazine
Excel London | 14 to 15 November
Recolight are on stand K26
and at the Lighting Tech Theatre on 14 November at 12:30 for an open scope briefing session
And of course, please talk to our WEEE experts on 020 8253 9750