Changes to consignment notes on 1 April 2016
Hazardous Waste Premises Code – HWPC
From 1 April Collection Points in England no longer require a hazardous waste premises code.
- there has been no change to the HWPC for Wales,
- HWPC is still not required in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
The change in England has been driven by the Strategic Smarter Environmental Regulation Review, The Red Tape Challenge.
To accommodate the removal of premises registration, the format of the consignment note code (section A on the consignment note) will change on 1 April 2016 regardless of the amount of hazardous waste you produce, store or handle.
- If waste is produced in England, you will need to amend the first six characters of your consignment note code (currently the premises registration number), replacing them with the first six letters or numbers (not symbols) of the business name. The producer should ensure consistent use of the organisation name in this regard.
- EXEMPT will no longer be used.
- The second set of characters will continue to be five numbers or letters of your choosing.
Please check you are using the correct format of the consignment note number. Legally you are still required to use the current format on consignment notes up until 1 April 2016.
Moving waste between England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland
If you are receiving waste from Wales into England, you should not change the consignment note code.
Welsh producers will still be required to register their premises with Natural Resources Wales and use this as their consignment note number.
If the waste is moved from England into Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland from 1 April 2016 the consignment note code will need to use the new format.
If you’d like further information, you will find detailed guidance from the EA on the gov.uk website
When completing consignment notes, you are required to enter a Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code in section B.
There have been different SIC Code lists in the past, but from 1April, only the SIC 2007 list will be accepted.
This change is also applicable to waste transfer notes (non-hazardous waste).